Opened on June 10th, 1929 by the Great Western Railway, Birchgrove Halt was the first of two stations NOT built by the Cardiff Railway to be erected along that companies former track.
Renamed to simply ‘Birchgrove’ forty years after it’s original opening, the station originally had two platforms and two lines running through it. By the 1950’s, the dwindling traffic on the line had seen the line reduced to single track, and only one platform was kept in use, as it is today.
Little remains of the second platform today.
About a quarter of a mile east lies the location of Ty Glas, the second (and most recent) station on the line to not be built by the Cardiff Railway.