Previous station: Treforest Halt.
At the turn of the century, the PC&N had purchased it’s own stock of trains to run passenger services, and a series of local stops were built for these services. As with the previous halts on the line, Rhydyfelin Halt opened on September 1st, 1904. Unlike the prior halts, Rhydyfelin Halt was an extremely minimal affair, consisting of a single ground level platform made from wooden railway sleepers, and a level crossing for traffic coming up from Morien Crescent.
The halt (along with the rest of the line), was absorbed into the Great Western Railway on 25th March 1922 as part of the Railways Act 1921. The former Cardiff Railway’s Rhydyfelin Halt was also absorbed as part of this process, and both stations were renamed to avoid confusion. The PC&N halt became Rhydyfelin (High Level) Halt, and the Cardiff Railway’s became Rhydyfelin (Low Level) Halt. The lower halt would last only another ten years, closing in the 1930’s – however, the PC&N halt would remain in service until 1953. I guess Rhydyfelin occupants must have really liked walking up hills.
While the halt remained in service following the big merger, it did not stay at it’s original location for long. On the 14th May, 1928, the halt was re-opened a few hundred yards further down the track, near to the railway bridge that served Dyffryn Road as it becomes Masefield Way.
The halt was expanded from it’s predecessor, with two wooden platforms, and a corrugated tin shelter. The halt at this location would go on to serve Rhydyfelin for another 25 years. In 1948, it came under state ownership, and eventually closed between February and June 1953, about three years before passenger services closed entirely on the line.
Nothing remains of the halt in either location today. Virtually the entire trackbed was re-purposed in the early 1980’s as part of the Taff Trail walking path.
Moving just a few hundred yards further down the line, next we’ll see the Dynea Halt….
Images and information sourced from: