Previous station: Rhydyfelin Halt.
At the turn of the century, the PC&N had purchased it’s own stock of trains to run passenger services, and a series of local stops were built for these services. As with the previous halts on the line, Dynea Halt opened (initially named just Dynea) on September 1st, 1904.
The initial halt had ground-level platforms with partially-open wooden shelters, located inside fenced enclosures. Only four years after it opened, during October of 1908, bad flooding damaged the halt and some of the surrounding area, (even causing the Glamorganshire Canal to burst it’s banks a few hundred yards below the site of the halt).
When the PC&N came under ownership of the GWR in the 1920’s, the halt was renamed Dynea Halt (on 1st July, 1924) .In 1931, a small down-siding was added about 300 yards east of the station, but it was removed around 1943. The halt set-up itself had changed by the mid-1950’s, with the shelters and enclosures being removed sometime in the prior years.
As with the rest of the line in 1948, it came under state ownership, and eventually closed on the 17th September, 1956, along with many of the other halts on the line. The site remained derelict for many years.
The entire trackbed was re-purposed in the early 1980’s as part of the Taff Trail walking path, and nothing remains of the halt today. A small playground area now lies just south of the former site of the halt. The cottages just below the halt have also been demolished, and replaced with indusutrial units.
Moving down the line, next we’ll look at the Upper Boat Halt….
Images and information sourced from: